Despite not understanding how HIV was spread. Princess Diana shook hands with an AIDS patient without gloves in 1991.



Princess Diana shook hands with an AIDS patient without gloves in 1991. This was groundbreaking at the time because many people didn't fully understand how HIV was spread. 

Consequently, those with the disease often had to spend time alone in AIDS wards. 

Diana visited several of these wards to meet the patients. She expressed her feelings towards the patients: "I had always wanted to hug people in hospital beds." 

She recounted a particular incident to Morton, saying, "This particular man who was so ill started crying when I sat on his bed, and he held my hand. I thought, 'Diana, do it, just do it,' and I gave him an enormous hug. It was so touching because he clung to me and cried."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This photograph captures one of the last moments of this woman’s life.

American soldiers execute SS camp guards who have been lined up against a wall during the liberation of Dachau concentration camp.

A U.S. marine gives a cigarette to an injured Japanese soldier, buried in the sand at the battle of Iwo Jima in 1945.